Wednesday 9 April 2014

a rough week...

A lovely story for you (minus the lovely part):

Thursday afternoon my second born sweetheart is complaining of a stomach ache. Thursday evening he is getting pretty nauseous, and Thursday night he is saying good bye to everything he ate during the day. Friday morning comes the fever, and Friday afternoon he is having some severe pain in his lower right abdomen. I panic and start harassing my husband at work that I think it must be his appendix. Wes comes home shortly after and calls his new pal/our neighbour, who happens to be a doctor. He was good enough to come on over and check Jarom out, and tells us that we should take him to the hospital as it looked as though Jarom had appendicitis.

Turns out he did, and Saturday morning he was in surgery having that bothersome appendix removed...


There is nothing good about having to see your child like this. 
I don't think they could have him hooked up to any more cords if they tried!


He was on a strict liquid diet after the surgery, which meant soup and jelly galore (Jello, if you
speak North American), neither of which Jarom likes. So they allowed him to have what we
would call a popsicle, Australians would call an ice block, and the nurse who offered it to 
him called an icy pole (I hadn't heard that one before). You should have seen Jarom's face 
when she asked if he wanted an icy pole… "ummm… I think so…?"


Sunday night, because apparently things weren't hard enough, my other three kids got
nasty sick. I was woken up at 11.30pm by my daughter who was covered in vomit. She and 
the boys then took turns until about 9.00am the next day spewing, spewing and spewing some more. 
It was a wonderful time, let me tell you. I got a lot of laundry and bathroom cleaning done though.
Bonus!
They then spent the rest of the day like this:

Watching T.V. and moaning about sore tummys.

And there was nap or two. 

I hear ya!

Thankfully, I didn't catch whatever bug got in their systems, was able to
take care of them, and get back to the son in the hospital the next day.

Jarom was about five days in the hospital, by really it felt like five thousand.
Wes and I did some shift work so that one of us was with him at all times, 
and a big shout out and thank you to our good friends the Finches, who spent the day
with our kids on Saturday, so Wes and I could both be with Jarom on the day of his surgery.

The good news is that everyone survived, Jarom is home, life is pretty much back to normal, and 
even when life gets stressful, there are always the little things to make you smile:
Use by when…?